Friday, December 23, 2011

White elephant or curse?

       Last Saturday we went to a Christmas party. Every year our friends have a get together and we have a White Elephant gift exchange. Ya never really know what you're going to come home with - and often times it's put up to take the following year. We did our annual scavenge right before we left to see what we could find. We took a Whale CD that we got a few years earlier. The kids actually listen to it occasionally and were sad to see it go. I, on the other hand, had no problems letting a CD of whale sounds out of my house. Perhaps some other lucky person would want to enjoy the bellowing. 
       Instead of the regular method of play - where everyone draws a number and you proceed in order picking a new gift or stealing someone else's gift - we followed directions given to use through a poem. Steve was number 17 - "17 your choice is here. Find a box and hold it near. When you return and look behind. Swap with 11 if you don't mind."  I was number 27 - "Number 27 how lucky you are. You've seen all the gifts chosen so far. If a pretty box catches your eye. Grab it, make a trade, and don't be shy."  It was a fun switch up to the game. Steve had another Christmas party and gift exchange coming up on Tuesday - so he was looking for the "perfect" gift to take. 
       Behold our "prizes"...

Yes that is a bed pan. Brand new and in the box - never used (I'm told). No, that isn't a Santa pillow. that is a Santa toilet seat cover (with a bag of cappuccino). At first glance these gifts look funny and harmless. What we didn't know is what was hiding someone inside.  A small little parasite that infects the stomach of children - one at a time.
       Within minutes of winning our wonderful prizes, Jake informed me that he didn't feel so well. I quickly motioned for him to get outside since the bathroom was occupied. He threw up and then said he was fine. I shrugged it off and told him to not run around right after he eats. We waited about 30 minutes and i told Steve i thought i should go ahead and bring the kids home - it was getting late (9PM). Once we got home, PJs on, teeth brushed and in bed - Jake was sick again. EVERY 45 min - 1 hr he was up getting sick. This continued all night and a good part of Sunday. By Sunday later afternoon he was doing better and Kyler was laying around. 
       Sunday night before going to bed, I checked on Kyler - yes, you guessed it... he had thrown up all over his bed. Yet another exhausting night - Kyler didn't get sick again - but I didn't want to chance it, so every time he moved or would cough - I was up. (He was sleeping with a garbage on the floor by my bed).
       Monday morning - all is well and we're off to school and work. (I think that is where I went - I was too tired to tell). Monday evening - feeling neglected and in trouble for her attitude MaKenna was sent to bed a little after 7PM. Not to be outdone by her brothers - she told us she was not feeling well. I'm sorry to say - we didn't exactly believe her (to much drama in her voice). She decided to show us, and as I was getting ready for bed, she threw up on her way up the stairs (passing several garbage cans and a bathroom). 3rd kid - 3rd night. I'm a pro at this now and quickly made her a bed in the hall way (by the bathroom) with sleeping bags covering every bit of carpet. She doesn't always wake up - so every noise she made - all night - got me up running to make sure she hit the garbage can.
       Tuesday night - I told Steve I didn't have time to get sick and if it was his turn - he would be on his own. Some how, we managed to escape the bug and not get sick. The kids were all well enough to go to school and their Christmas parties. Their last day for a couple weeks was Wednesday. They now have " a lot of stay home days" according to Kyler.
       Hope your holiday season is happy and healthy.

1 comment:

Joleane said...

Oh, Elizabeth! I'm so sorry you guys had such a rough few days. I hope everyone is having a wonderful and healthy Christmas break now though.
Love you. Get some sleep! ;)